Monday, April 20, 2009

On-Line Quilt Festival



Amy of Park City Girl has organized the most wonderful online Quilt Festival! Her idea is for us to share a favorite quilt and give the story behind it and then link to Mr. Linky on her blog. There are oodles of bloggers already linked in hopes of winning a prize from the generous sponsors!
This quilt, of course, is "Grandmother's Flower Garden" pattern. This is a very special treasure to me because it is a family heirloom. The quilt is hand pieced and hand quilted and each and every fabric is beautiful. This quilt is in my famiy for 5 generations, made by my great-great grandmother, and given to my mother by her grandmother on her Wedding Day as a gift. My mother would use it to cover me up on the living room couch whenever I was sick. Which makes me think of the verse 2nd Corthinians 1:3-4, "Praise be to God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. When I think of quilts, I think of comfort, and love. I've used this photo as my blog banner and this verse also.

12 comments:

Jocelyn said...

What a special family heirloom. It is a good thing to have comfort not only externally, but internally as well. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful! What a great story too and a wonderful treasure to have.

Bunny said...

what a beautiful Heirloom. My grandmother had a flower garden on her bed that she made. someday I want to make one.

Scrappy quilter said...

What a beautiful quilt. The colors are awesome.

Carol said...

Very pretty. I've started cutting out some of my stack of fabrics to tackle grandma's garden.

Miri said...

Beautiful quilt and a wonderful family heirloom!

Quilt Rat said...

Beautiful story and just a super lovely and obviously cherished quilt.

Jeannette said...

grandma's flowers garden

Tina said...

Your Grandmothers Flower Garden is a treasure. I love older, well loved quilts.

Fresh Poppy Design said...

gorgeous quilt! love it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful and historic! Thanks for sharing :)

stitchinpenny said...

What a wonderful heirloom.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

That's My King

Popular Posts