Friday, October 29, 2010

Vintage Charm-Bloggers Quilt Festival

Sunbonnet Sue...this is an all time favorite pattern.  I  have to admit, I did not personally piece/applique/or embroider stitch this quilt.  Nope, my part was more of a rescue of a vintage top that no one ever finished.  These poor old tops just need me, so I adopt them {by means of some green paper electronically on e-bay, usually}.  But, I am a good mama, I take care of any boo boos {repair rips holes tares}, I feed them stiches with my long arm machine, and then I give them lots of hugs and love.
I wanted to get this photographed in natural light, and the ground was all wet, so hence, the feet sticking out from my unhappy assistants.  I believe this was probably pieced as a top for a bed because of the direction of each block, especially the top row center two block that would be directed toward your face if you were lying down, I love how each corner and side is turned.

I fell in love with this one especially because of the pink sashing, I love pink and yellow are two of my favorite colors.  Yes, sometimes there are little stains, but I accept them with their little flaws, as I am not quite perfect either.

I used a basic off-white colored thread to blend in and not take away from the piecing, and found a sunbonnet sue pantograph quilting design to repeat the appliqued block design.

The attention to detail is evident in the hat stitchery, each hat has a slightly different stitched design and I love the accent black thread color.  I treasure the time that someone put into piecing, applique and stitching these.  I don't know where I'd find it.

I used a lovely fabric from Philip Jacobs that I seemed to fit perfectly, very vintage feel I thought and I love the print and colors.  {In ase any of you are wondering, no I didn't get the binding on, I just ran out of time, but that's for the next generation to do, right}


A little history on the Sunbonnet Sue.   In 1900, American Bertha Corbett Melcher published a book called The Sunbonnet babies.  her illustrations were used to decorate household items, such as china, and became the basis for what is commonly known as Sunbonnet Sue.  Sunbonnet Sue, her brother Overall Sam, and many relatives, including the Colonial lady, were most frequently used in the first part of the twentieth century.  They experienced a revival in the 1970s and 1980's when quilters used both traditional patterns and fabrics as well as moderrn fabrics with new variations on the pattern, sometimes placing Sue in politcal  and social settings, such as running for political office and mountain climbing.  Sunbonnet Sue Quilts are great examples of folk-style applique.
Thank you to Amy for again hosting this wonderful on-line quilt festival, I hope you enjoyed your visit and will continue to visit the pariticipants.  http://amyscreativeside.com/

24 comments:

Nat Palaskas said...

Great quilt and story behind it. Thanks for sharing it with us - Hugs Nat

Cecily said...

A beautiful sunbonnet sue and I can't BELIEVE the quilting! Stunning!

Anonymous said...

really sweet, sweet rescue quilt. I hope to do a Sunbonnet someday with 30's repros. I enjoyed the history lesson of the day too.

Carol said...

Gorgeous rescue quilt. Very nicely saved and put together.

Kathy said...

Wonderful story about your quilt rescue of this sunbonnet sue.

Allie said...

That quilt is so sweet--it's a good thing you rescued it!

Allie said...

what a fabulous rescue - I've never found one this nice, I don't do ebay but I find tops at thrift stores and estate sales. I love that you've given it new life!

Anonymous said...

so sweet - what a great rescue!

AnnieO said...

These sweet girls were saved! How lovely of you to adopt so many. I have a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that my Grandma and her sisters made from feedsack fabrics when they were girls in the 30's. They made and embroidered the blocks and then they sat for years and years until my Grandma, I believe, put it together with sashing, and finished it. It is a treasure and does have that quirky thing where some are facing different ways! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story (and your assistants' feet pic! :)

Quiltbenaco said...

Molto simpatica questa trapunta!

Simpatici pure i proprietari dei piedi che sorreggono la trapunta
Ciao ciao
Domenica

2miracles/Tove said...

i love that you set the Sue's in the traditional white grid and sahing patttern, but love that you through in the twist of turning them around on the outside edge!
We have sun bonnet Sue 's that my Great grandmother did. I love Sun bonnet Sue!
Lovely quilt!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing Sunbonnet Sue! I do love her!

farmersdotter said...

Thanks for sharing your Sun Bonnet Sue! I LOVE old quilts too!
Brenda...the Farmer's Dotter
www.farmersdotter.com
P.S. I also entered a quilt.

Sandra said...

What a great save, love the design repeat of the quilted sues. And the assistants' feet repeat the sues' feet too -they add to the picture. Too fun. Thanks for saving and sharing.
Come see my 1890 antique schoolhouse quilt and
black/white/pink scrappy miniature

mamammelloves said...

What a great rescue quilt. The quilting is just lovely! :)

Anonymous said...

You did a great job of saving a poor orphan quilt top! I think it's very interesting the way the Sues turn.

Nima said...

lovely piece of work

Vicki said...

so pretty, and just classic. I'm so glad you rescued this one, and fixed it up.

Fresh Poppy Design said...

I love sunbonnet sue! An those ones turned on the sides are great, love that. Thanks so much for sharing, and thanks for stopping by my blog too!

Kate said...

Lovely quilt and you've done a beautiful job with the quilting. The detailed stitching on the hats is wonderful. Quite a find and you definitely did it right. Thanks for sharing.

Cynthia said...

I think it is great that you "rescue" these quilts! I love the sunbonnet sue in the quilting--it's so cute!

Millie said...

I love the pink Sunbonnet Sue quilt and thanks for sharing the history behind the quilt.
Smles,
Millie

Karen said...

Charming quilt! Thank you for giving it a home!!!!

Eileen said...

darling quilt and what a great story!! a friend does the same thing and what an admirable thing to do. have a great day

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

That's My King

Popular Posts